This was my second time running the Standard Chartered KL Marathon which was also my least prepared marathon.This year there were only 10 runners from our group taking part in the full marathon.Most of the Seremban group runners did not take part.Yee also did not run as he wanted to concentrate on his 3 marathons year end.
- It was Lau's turn to drive to the race venue and Steve,Wun, KG and myself joined in.Francis who was targeting to do his personal best in SCKLM decided to go one day earlier and stayed in a hotel.The rest went into Yu's car.
- We arrived at Dataran Merdeka at 4.10am and found a good parking place behind the Bangunan Abdul Samad.This year there was no illegal parking attendant collecting money from runners.
- We took some pictures,deposited our bags at the tent,went to the loo.I met up with YS..a first time marathoner and chatted with him.As we were waiting for the race to start,it started to rain.Not again!!Last year it rained before the race started.This year it happened again and it was raining quite heavily.We were all wet even before the race started.
- Soon at 5.00am,the race was flagged off.The crowd was larger this year and very soon I couldn't locate Lau,Wun and Steve.I continue running at my own pace.The strategy was to run 6.8-7.0min/km for the first few kilometres and then maintaining the pace at 6.5min/km throughout the race.
- Nothing significant happen during the run.It was like me running alone with strangers around me.I was just concentrating on my pace and time.Occasionally I checked my watch timing whenever I saw a distance marker.I was quite happy as I was able to maintain my targeted pace of 6.5min/km.
- Mentally I was preparing myself to conquer the last part of the race which was supposed to be a hilly terrain after the 35km mark.I took 4 packets of gel during the run,one each at 10km,20km,30km and 35km.
- My legs muscle began to tense from 28km mark so I started to apply some deep heat cream which I bought along.I reserved one small sachet for the "final assault"at 35km.
- 35km mark at Jalan Kuching was the "do or die"marking for me.I took one packet of gel ,slow down to apply some deep heat on both my thigh before telling myself to conquer the last hilly part of this run.If I will to walk during this last stretch,then I wouldn't be able to do a sub-5h which was my minimal target for this run.
*The elevation chart which was available to runners from SCKLM facebook site.Looks like there were 5 peaks along the way.
- I thought the hilly part was only 2km long from the elevation chart provided.So the climb should end by 37km.However I still see up slopes after each turning, up to 39km mark where we were directed to run up slope before making a U turn back along Jalan Sultan Salahudin.
- It was all the way to Dataran Merdeka after that.It was downhill and flat.I knew it was very near to the finishing line.The crowd grew larger.There were many runners cheering and some snapping pictures.Yee snapped a picture of me about 1km from the finishing line.
- **Picture taken by my friend Tham from Sungai Petani who came to run the half marathon.
- Feeling so happy to complete this run without walking and with minimal training.My watch timing was 4h 36m 48s and the official net timing was 4h 36m 57s.However I am satisfied with the result which was 17 seconds faster than what I achieved in Borneo Marathon.So can be consider as a Personal Best time for me??Maybe yes but only 17 seconds which is not significant at all.
*The carnival at Dataran Merdeka...not so grand as in Singapore.How many really paying attention to the band performing on the stage.Personally for me it was more like a "noise pollution".
- After crossing the finishing line,I walked towards the drinks counter before collecting my medal and finisher T-Shirt.Then proceed to collect my bag where there were long queues.It took me 35minutes to get my bag!!Drove home at 11.45am.
**Almost reaching to the end of my "torture run".Both my legs were sore and up to today....2 days after the run,I still walk with a limp.
- Overall: well organised race compared to last year.The only problem was collecting my bag.It took me so long standing and waiting under the hot sun!!Better if the organiser can provide some light breakfast for runners after the run instead of 2 bananas to eat!:)
- Will run again in 2011 edition..